Scarlett Johansson plays Lucy, a young woman who gets tricked by her friend to deliver a package of drugs to a Taiwanese drug lord. Lucy gets the package of drugs sown into her stomach and is forced by the Taiwanese drug lord to keep the drugs stuffed inside her. But when the bag of drugs bursts open inside her body it allows her body to absorb the drugs and have a very high increase in her brain activity. Lucy then learns she gains all types of powers including mind control and the power to not feel any pain. Meanwhile, Morgan Freeman plays Professor Samuel Norman teaching his college students what might happen if you access 100% of your brain’s activity. Now, Lucy is after this Taiwanese drug lord to get the other package of drugs he has.
Now ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my top 5 reasons why I hated Lucy.
5) Misleading Trailer – Watching the trailer for this movie made it look like a fun action packed movie. Did we get this as the viewer? No, we got stupid, complex imagery and a movie that might be very confusing to the audience.
4) It’s a commercial for Samsung – This movie is one big commercial for Samsung products. I noticed 3 Samsung phones, 2 televisions, a couple of laptops computers and cameras. We don’t need to see all these Samsung products and it does make me feel the need to buy Samsung products.
3) Scarlett Johansson – I love Scarlett Johansson and she is one of my favorite actresses. This is not a movie made for her and I don’t understand why she wanted to be part of this movie. Luc Benson, the director of the film, makes Scarlett look incredibly floozy with guns. Scarlett should never be playing characters like this. She should be playing powerful, strong women who can kick butt, but not look so easy.
2) Villain – The villain in the movie is, of course, the Taiwanese drug lord played by Min-sik Choi. Min-sik Choi plays the movies worst villain. His acting is terrible and there’s no purpose in the film of why he really needs these drugs.
1) Luc Benson – Luc Benson made this movie incredibly complex — the script is horrendous and the dialogue is poorly written and must be rewritten. I mentioned above that he puts stupid complex imagery in the movie and a movie that might be very confusing to the audience. Luc’s vision of this movie was to make a movie similar to Stanley Kubrick’s 2001 Space Odyssey. To me it looks like Luc copied the same exact movie. The movie dealt with themes like philosophy, creationism, science and technology. I hate when movies deal with creationism because it really does not interest me. Otherwise, this has to be one of Luc Benson’s worst films he has ever done, he made this movie very boring. You might be entertained or might fall asleep. On the plus side the movie is only one hour and 30 minutes.
I give this movie an “F”